“For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.”
Matthew 15:4
******************************
Randomness: Selfie September - Pieces of Me
Today is my mom's birthday.
And I ended up having the day "off".
I had called her earlier in the week, to see if she would like to go with me to my dentist appointment, and then do some fun stuff together.
(I wanted to get her off the farm, and give her at least a morning off from her normal non-stop activity. Because she's NEVER still. ALWAYS working, or taking care of someone else.)
So I told her to bring a book to read while she waited on me at the dentist's office, and when I picked her up, she had a look of excitement on her face. LOVE seeing that.
After my 0800 appointment was completed, we picked up a few groceries.
Hit a few thrift stores.
Dropped off a couple of bags of clothes at the consignment shop.
And dropped off a huge box and bag of donation items.
We had fun.
Doing what we used to do when I was in college.
Scouting for treasures and shopping for bargains.
We both came home with a few books, and something new to wear.
And we both enjoyed a sweet treat at Dairy Queen.
:)
*****************
This afternoon, I headed out to check on the babies and get some cow therapy in.
The babies were running everywhere! And they are so much fun to watch.
I could just sit out here with them all day.
Raven just wanted me to sit down on the ground with her and scratch her chin. She is already spoiled rotten, and she is almost a cookie cutter replica of her mama, Poison. Who happens to be my favorite bovine buddy.
I've kept every heifer Poison has had.
Fiona unfortunately lost her twins this past weekend. Just a freak thing.
(But I have kept Fiona's first heifer calf, Millicent.)
Trudy had a heifer calf on Tuesday morning.
Arsenic has hopefully got bred and will calve in the Spring.
And Raven will be staying with the herd as well.
I also have one of Poison's steers, which will be sent off to the butcher in a few months.
**
Poison's offspring, have all been gentle and easy to mess with. When you have a good one like this, it typically filters down through genetics. Poison also happens to be the herd Queen. Gentle but bossy.
Since I am out there brushing and hosing her down all the time, the rest of the herd has gotten used to me being out in amongst them all, over the years.
I'm just part of their herd now.
Which is convenient when it comes down to working them and getting them moved to other locations.
**
I have two more cows left to calve and I am praying they have easy births and healthy babies.
Although this is one of my favorite seasons, I'm always glad to get all the babies on the ground safely, and the mamas all adapted to being mamas again.
Once they are done, I can get everyone worked and tagged and get them all moved out to the rental pasture for the winter. I'm really wanting to get them all out on grass again.
As much as I like the convenience of them calving at home, it's eating into the winter hay supply.
So . . .
October is going to be spent putting up electric fence at the rental pasture, and getting cattle worked and moved.
So they have more room to roam, and some fresh grass to munch on.



No comments:
Post a Comment